Scoliosis Treatment in Golden
Scoliosis can cause a variety of symptoms and complications, from breathing problems to chronic musculoskeletal discomfort. If you or your loved ones suffer from this abnormal spinal curvature, you’re probably seeking non-surgical treatment to minimize the problems associated with the condition. Led by Dr. Calvin Weiss, Weiss Chiropractic and Regenerative Wellness can provide that non-invasive scoliosis treatment in Golden CO.
What Is Scoliosis? Symptoms and Causes
The human spine naturally follows a long, gentle, front-to-back S-curve. Occasionally, however, it may also display an unnatural side-to-side curvature. This abnormal curvature is called scoliosis.
Scoliosis can occur for numerous reasons. Many sufferers are simply born with it, either due to a genetic issue or as part of some larger congenital syndrome. Spinal injuries, infections, or degeneration can cause scoliosis to appear later in life. Other cases have no identifiable cause.
If you seek scoliosis treatment in Golden CO, it’s probably because you’ve noticed some telltale symptoms of the disorder. While most cases of scoliosis are relatively mild, you may notice irregularities in your posture and musculoskeletal symmetry. For example, one hip or shoulder may sit higher than the other, your arms may appear uneven in length, or one shoulder blade or set of ribs may stick out prominently.
Untreated scoliosis may grow more severe. If this happens, you may experience chronic back pain, increasing deformity, and heart or lung damage.
Types of Scoliosis
Scoliosis may take different forms depending on its location in the spinal column, the direction of the curvature, and the effects it may produce. The following four conditions represent the most common configurations.
- Thoracic scoliosis: Thoracic scoliosis affects the thoracic region of the spinal column. The thoracic spine consists of the vertebrae from the collarbone through the rib cage. This condition, which may affect rib cage development, typically makes one shoulder appear higher than the other.
- Thoracolumbar scoliosis: In thoracolumbar scoliosis, the abnormal curvature occurs in an area overlapping the lower thoracic spine (at the base of the rib cage) and the upper lumbar spine immediately beneath it. This condition, which mainly develops in females, usually features a curve toward the right-hand side of the body.
- Lumbar scoliosis: A curvature in the lower part of the spinal column that doesn’t involve any part of the thoracic spine is called lumbar scoliosis. This type of scoliosis can alter the apparent hip alignment. It can be present from birth, or it can develop alongside age-related joint degeneration.
- Double curve scoliosis: Double curve scoliosis involves two different abnormal curves, one higher up the spinal column and the other lower down, with each portion of the spine curving in a different direction. It is also called S-shaped scoliosis.
Non-Surgical Scoliosis Treatment in Golden CO
Our team can provide comprehensive, non-surgical scoliosis treatment in Golden, CO. Your non-surgical options may include:
- Chiropractic care: Chiropractic adjustments can ease joint pain and musculoskeletal strain created by an abnormal spinal curvature.
- Bracing: Various configurations of back braces can prevent abnormal curvature from worsening or slow the rate of progress.
- Weight loss: Extra pounds place the spine under more stress, accelerating scoliosis, and worsening your discomfort. We can recommend safe, sensible weight-loss strategies to help you take the pressure off of your back.
Looking for the Best Scoliosis Doctor in Golden CO? Come to Weiss Chiropractic and Regenerative Wellness
When you choose Weiss Chiropractic and Regenerative Wellness, you’ve chosen the best source for scoliosis treatment in Golden CO. In over five years of dedicated service to the residents of Golden and Southwest Denver, we’ve established a solid reputation for safe, gentle, effective care.
We offer same-day appointments, free patient consultations, and customized treatment plans that view each patient’s needs as unique. Find out what we can do for you by calling our Golden, CO chiropractic office at (303) 216-0105.